Our last walking tour (advertised below) was a popular event and we are planning to hold another in October. Details will be posted here when available.
If you would like a private group tour (minimum 10 people) please contact us and we can make arrangements to suit you.
Starts with the 11 am ferry from Brooklyn Sunday May 22 2016.
Come by train to Hawkesbury River Station (mind the steps) or park your car in the Brooklyn commuter car park near the ferry terminal.
Enjoy the Hawkesbury River on a ferry ride from Brooklyn via Little Wobby to Dangar Island and join us for a walking tour of the island as we bring alive its history including:
- Indigenous use of the Island prior to the visit by Governor Arthur Phillip in 1788 when he named it Mullet island
- Purchase by Henry Cary Dangar in 1864 and subsequent lease 1887 to 1889 when it became the busiest construction site in the Southern Hemisphere during the building of the Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge
- The Dangar family years followed by subdivision and the building of weekenders
- The role of the island during WW2
- Recent developments that have led to Dangar Island being home to 250 residents in a car free, water access only community just 1 hour from Sydney CBD
To join this tour catch the 11.00am ferry from Brooklyn to Dangar Island. Our guide will meet you from the ferry and take you on a leisurely 1 hour walk, mainly on the flat. The tour includes a delicious Roast Lunch plate and a drink at Dangar’s Bowling Club, where you will join the guide and other locals. Extend your visit with a walk around the top of the island (about another hour) or linger on the beach, have game of bowls, or catch the ferry at 2.45pm, which returns to Brooklyn via the river community of Little Wobby. Next ferry 3.45 then 4.45.
Go to our Map and Community page for the ferry timetable and a map of Brooklyn.
Operated by the Dangar Island Historical Society. Price $32 a head ($30 concessions), which includes the tour, lunch, a glass of wine or equivalent and a free guidebook to take home. Children (5-14) $5 (kids meal deals available). This is a small group tour (maximum of 20), bookings are essential and a non-returnable deposit of 50% is required on booking. Note that ferry fares or additional purchases from the Bowling Club are payable directly to the operators.